ADGM Office of Data Protection publishes suite of guidance materials to strengthen compliance with the new Data Protection Regulations 2021ADGM 11/08/2021
- ADGM Office of Data Protection publishes suite of eight guidance documents on pertinent topics surrounding new regulations
- Guides to support ADGM entities and authorities in complying with new data protection regulations
The Office of Data Protection (ODP) of Abu Dhabi Global Market (ADGM), the international financial centre located in Abu Dhabi, has released a suite of guides and documents which aim to ensure greater compliance with and understanding of the Data Protection Regulations 2021.
The guidance is divided into eight separate sections covering key areas of the new regulations. As well as the inclusion of advisory information, the guidance also provide examples to further clarify how the new regulations may apply in practice. Among others, topics outlined within the guidance are as follows:
- The Overview section provides an introduction into the new regulations and features key insights into the definitions, material and territorial scope of the law, as well as the legal basis for processing personal data.
- Individual Rights provides pertinent information on the data subject rights under the new regulations, including the role and responsibilities of ADGM entities.
- Obligation on Data Controllers and Processors provides information on key obligations, such as data protection by design and default, data protection impact assessments, and data protection agreements with processors, among others. The guidance also covers the requirement to appoint a data protection officer for certain entities and the obligation to pay the data protection fees.
- International Transfers provides an overview of the transfer provisions in the new regulations and provides examples on what measures ADGM entities must consider and implement to transfer personal data outside of ADGM.
Commenting on the publication of the new guidance documents, Sami Mohammed, ADGM Commissioner of Data Protection, said: “The new regulations provide a high level of protection for personal data in accordance with international best practice. Therefore, it is important for my office to support ADGM entities in understanding their obligations and comply with the new regulations.
The new suite of guidance materials, which includes eight separate documents, provides ADGM entities and authorities with a robust foundation to update their existing data protection compliance programmes. My office will maintain these guides as living documents to ensure they remain up-to-date, relevant and effective for all regulated entities.”
In addition to the suite of guidance documents, the ODP has also developed templates and assessments to support entities in their compliance with the new regulations. The guidance, templates and assessments are available on the Office of Data Protection website here: Office of Data Protection - Guidance.
The Office of Data Protection recently hosted a webinar on the new regulations. You can watch the webinar on the ADGM website under the Past Events section here: Data Protection Regulations 2021 in ADGM.