Abu Dhabi boasts first-class infrastructure and unparalleled global connectivity, making it a premier international destination. Its exceptional qualities make it an ideal location to live, work, and conduct business.
A financial centre that provides transparency, efficiency, and integrity, through its progressive frameworks, future focused infrastructure, all within a familiar independent legal jurisdiction – ADGM is the perfect platform for success.
ADGM, the centre for a transparent and thriving sustainable finance ecosystem.
Our community of business professionals, entrepreneurs, and investors can depend on ADGM to provide timely news and reliable insights.
At ADGM, we offer various support options, including contact details, FAQs, enquiry forms, and a whistleblowing form.
Abu Dhabi Global Market issues Public Consultation on new amendments to the ADGM Employment RegulationsADGM RA 02/04/2019
The Registration Authority of the Abu Dhabi Global Market (ADGM), the International Financial Centre in Abu Dhabi, has published a consultation paper setting out proposed amendments to the ADGM Employment Regulations applicable on Al Maryah Island, the geographical jurisdiction of ADGM’s financial free zone. The paper also includes a proposal for a new rule to govern work carried out by individuals not sponsored by ADGM entities on Al Maryah Island.
As an international financial centre, ADGM places great importance on enabling key stakeholders to attract and maintain the best talent in the market. The revisions made to the ADGM Employment Regulations aim to strengthen ADGM’s employment framework, making it appealing for both employers and employees. The amendments were formulated after the Registration Authority conducted a thorough multi-jurisdictional benchmarking exercise to promote the highest standards in employment practice and related matters among entities and firms operating on Al Maryah Island.
The Registration Authority has invited public participants to submit their comments on the amendments of the ADGM Employment Regulations to firstname.lastname@example.org .
The key proposed amendments include:
- Introducing a temporary work permit regime which allows individuals who are seconded from other jurisdictions or outsourced from non-ADGM entities to officially work in ADGM;
- Facilitating the engagement of interns (with or without pay) by ADGM entities;
- Permitting temporary freelancers to operate in Al Maryah Island, the geographical jurisdiction of ADGM (subject to obtaining the required temporary work permit for them);
- Adding provisions for ‘overtime’ and ‘overtime compensation’ for employees, excluding those in managerial or supervisory positions;
- Introducing amendments to the provision related to the month of Ramadan working hours;
- Introducing amendments to the provision relating to sick leave pay;
- Introducing a one-way repatriation flight ticket entitlement to employees;
- Adding protective provisions related to the employment of youth between 15 and 18 years of age;
- Adding a provision to confirm the application of the Federal Law Concerning the National and Reserve Service in ADGM;
- Introducing amendments to the ‘Protection of Wages’ and ‘Hiring Employees’ sections of the ADGM Employment Regulations (Compensation and Awards Limits) Rules 2016;
In addition to introducing new definitions to a number of the terms used in the ADGM Employment Regulations as well as other necessary miscellaneous amendments.
The Regulations have been posted for a four-week public consultation period with the deadline for providing comments ending on Sunday 28 April 2019.
For more information on the amendments to the ADGM Employment Regulations and the new subordinate rules, please visit the dedicated webpage on https://www.adgm.com/doing-business/adgm-legal-framework/public-consultations/2019/consultation-paper-no-2-of-2019-proposed-amendments-to-the-employment-rules-and-regulations-in-adgm/
About Abu Dhabi Global Market
Abu Dhabi Global Market (ADGM), an international financial centre (IFC) located in the capital city of the United Arab Emirates, opened for business on 21 October 2015. Established by a UAE Federal Decree as a broad-based financial centre, ADGM augments Abu Dhabi’s position as a global hub for business and finance and serves as a strategic link between the growing economies of the Middle East, Africa and South Asia and the rest of the world.
ADGM’s strategy is anchored by Abu Dhabi’s key strengths including private banking, wealth management, asset management and financial innovation. Comprising three independent authorities: ADGM Courts, the Financial Services Regulatory Authority and the Registration Authority, ADGM as an IFC governs Al Maryah Island which is a designated financial free zone. It enables registered financial institutions, companies and entities to operate, innovate and succeed within an international regulatory framework based on Common Law.
Since its inception, ADGM has been awarded the “Financial Centre of the Year (MENA)” for three consecutive years for its initiatives and contributions to the financial and capital markets industry in the region.*
For more details of ADGM, please visit www.adgm.com or follow us on Twitter: @adglobalmarket and Linkedin: ADGM
* Source : The Global Investor Middle East and North Africa (MENA) Awards