Abu Dhabi boasts first-class infrastructure and unparalleled global connectivity, making it a premier international destination. Its exceptional qualities make it an ideal location to live, work, and conduct business.
A financial centre that provides transparency, efficiency, and integrity, through its progressive frameworks, future focused infrastructure, all within a familiar independent legal jurisdiction – ADGM is the perfect platform for success.
ADGM, the centre for a transparent and thriving sustainable finance ecosystem.
Our community of business professionals, entrepreneurs, and investors can depend on ADGM to provide timely news and reliable insights.
At ADGM, we offer various support options, including contact details, FAQs, enquiry forms, and a whistleblowing form.
Al Reem Island Expansion
Operations on Al Reem Island
On the 24th of April 2023, ADGM increased its jurisdiction following the expansion into Al Reem Island. ADGM is pleased to share further information regarding the transitional arrangements to support the expansion and provide further guidance to businesses on Al Reem.
For new business applications
From the 1st November 2023, businesses planning to establish a new presence in Al Reem Island will need to submit their licence application to ADGM. If you’re a business planning to establish in Al Reem and would like more information, please complete our enquiry form. If you’re ready to submit your application, please visit ADGM’s online registry to start the process.
For existing businesses
For existing businesses in Al Reem, you can continue to operate as usual and remain exempt from ADGM’s regulations, registration, and licensing requirements up to, and including 31st December 2024.
This transition period allows time for existing businesses in Al Reem to obtain the appropriate licence and permits to remain and operate within ADGM’s jurisdiction.
For further clarity on the updates regarding business operations, including regulations, registration, and licensing, on Al Reem Island, please refer to our FAQs.
ADGM, 2 Islands, 1 District
The 24th of April was a significant milestone for Abu Dhabi, and for ADGM. Following the issuance of the UAE Cabinet Resolution No. 41 of 2023, Abu Dhabi Global Market, the International Financial Centre of Abu Dhabi, expanded its jurisdiction to include both Al Maryah Island and Al Reem Island. The expansion aligns with Abu Dhabi’s diversification strategy, where the financial sector will continue to play a pivotal role in the UAE’s economy and vision for the future.
Fastest growing financial district
ADGM is the region’s fastest growing international financial centre, and this expansion follows increased demand from both international and regional companies choosing Abu Dhabi as their preferred location to work and live.
Being established in ADGM means joining the only jurisdiction in the region that applies direct application of English common law, getting access to talent, and as a business, operating in a growing and thriving community.
ADGM continues to support and enhance its services for members of its community and highlight what the two islands within its district have to offer.
The guidance notes available on this page are prepared to assist applicants in the process of obtaining ADGM licenses. The target audience of the guidance notes are existing businesses on Al Reem Island and new applicants.
Download our quick guide on how to use Department of Municipalities and Transport (‘DMT’) portal to register an office lease for premises on Al Reem Island.
The following pages contain information on preparing and submitting your application, checklist of required documents, business activities, schedule of fees, documents and information to support your application.
To address your enquiries regarding ADGM and the expansion on Al Reem Island, whether you're a business planning to establish a presence in ADGM, an existing business, or a member of the community, we have compiled a list of Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs). These FAQs are regularly updated to offer more detailed information and guidance.
1. What does the expansion of ADGM’s jurisdiction mean?
2. What benefits does ADGM's expansion to Al Reem Island offer to businesses and investors?
- Direct application of English Common Law which is internationally recognised, most commonly used, and renowned for being transparent and predictable, providing freedom of contract with a pro-business approach
- Progressive regulations
- Range of services provided from in-house single business platform for licence registration to immigration services, business support and services
- Digital registration
- ADGM ecosystem that gives access to 1600 operational businesses, access to ADGM's networking and high-profile business events such as Abu Dhabi Finance Week, access to asset managers, global funds, financial institutions, leading advisors, law firms, capital providers, tech and digital companies, family offices etc.
- All other benefits the region offers – Access to capital, market, affordable yet quality infrastructure etc.
3. Which businesses or businesses on Al Reem Island will fall under ADGM jurisdiction?
4. Are there any specific conditions impacting certain activities?
5. How does the expansion impact your commercial licence?
6. Are Al Reem Island office spaces eligible for the ADGM licence effective today? If not, when?
7. What is the cost of obtaining an ADGM commercial licence and its renewal?
8. You have just renewed your residential tenancy in Al Reem Island with your landlord and registered Tawtheeq. What happens to you?
9. What measures will be in place to ensure a smooth transition and minimise any potential disruptions during the transition of Al Reem Island businesses into ADGM jurisdiction?
10. What are the differences between the labour law of ADGM and the rest of Abu Dhabi?
11. Will the ADGM regulatory framework be offered as an optional alternative to the existing "mainland" regulatory framework, or rather applied on a mandatory basis on conclusion of the transition period?
13. How would being part of ADGM jurisdiction affect our tax payments and VAT processing for the federal authorities?
14. Are you looking to obtain building permits, infrastructure services, planning services, or any other municipality related services?
15. Are there any restrictions moving onto digitally enabled versions of the Agreements (Lease, Variation, Termination, Licence Agreements) as well as e-signatures? Will e-signatures be acceptable under ADGM legislation?
Should you require further information beyond what is provided in our FAQ section, please do not hesitate to contact us via the form below.
News About Al Reem Expansion
Thank you for your enquiry regarding the Al Reem island expansion.
You have now been added to our mailing list and will be informed of any developments related to your enquiry.
We will be updating our FAQs frequently, please check back for updates.